[CentOS] Bind data directory borked on update from 5.3 to 5.4

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jan 21 16:31:16 UTC 2010

Bowie Bailey wrote on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:34:02 -0500:

> # ll /var/named/chroot/var/
>         total 24
>         drwxr-x---  4 root  named 4096 Aug 25  2004 named
>         drwxrwx---  3 root  named 4096 Mar 13  2003 run

that has no group write permission here.

>         drwxrwx---  2 named named 4096 Mar 13  2003 tmp
>
>         # ll /var/named/chroot/var/named/
>         total 16
>         drwxrwx---  5 named named 4096 Sep 25 14:25 data
>         drwxrwx---  2 named named 4096 Jul 27  2004 slaves

Same here.

> Everything is working fine for me with these settings, so I don't think
> this is a problem.

It seems to be working, but I get this complaint (I see it as a complaint)
each time named gets restarted - until I give it write permission for that
directory.

> 2) The directory that does contain the zone files appears to be owned by
> named with write permissions by default.

This would be data then. Yes, same here. And the files in it are
owner/group named and rw for both.

> 3) All of my master zone files are owned by root with 644 permissions,
> so regardless of the directory permissions, named can't mess with them.

I have them even 640. owner root, group named.

Kai