[CentOS] any significant differences between centos and OEL?

Larry Vaden larry.vaden at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 15:45:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  someone just pointed out to me that there is a distro called "oracle
> enterprise linux" which is effectively a re-branded RHEL, so i'm
> curious -- has anyone here used both centos and OEL and would there be
> any differences that would be worth caring about?

Unless Oracle has changed their policy in the last two years or so,
the release cycle for critical patches (e.g., security fixes) is
_very_ different.

Quarterly for Oracle, days for CentOS.  Again, observations are from a
couple of years ago, but should be verifiable.  See a recent email
below the sig.

kind regards/ldv

October 20th, 2009
Oracle Critical Patch Update October 2009

Dear Oracle customer,

The Critical Patch Update for October 2009 was released on October 20,
2009. Oracle strongly recommends applying the patches as soon as
possible.

<snip> ... </snip>

The next four Critical Patch Update release dates are:

  January 12, 2010
  April 13, 2010
  July  13, 2010
  October 12, 2010