[CentOS] Bash script for backup

Lennart Andersen lka0871 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 25 18:56:46 UTC 2010

How about something like this......

#!/bin/bash

# This script makes a backup of the files on the primary server directory.

# Change the values of the variables to make the script work:
BACKUPDIR=/data/
BACKUPFILES=*.cdf
GZTARFILE=/var/tmp/data_$(date +%F).tar.gz
SERVER=mcastasp1
REMOTEDIR=/home/admin/DATA_BKP
LOGFILE=/home/admin/DATA_BKP/backup.log
CLEANUP=/home/admin/DATA_BKP

cd $BACKUPDIR

# This creates the archive
tar zcf $GZTARFILE $BACKUPFILES > /dev/null 2>&1

# Create Remote backup Directory
ssh $SERVER 'mkdir -p /home/admin/DATA_BKP'

# Copy the file to another host - we have ssh keys for making this work without intervention.
scp $GZTARFILE $SERVER:$REMOTEDIR > /dev/null 2>&1

# Redirect errors because this generates some if the archive
# does not exist.
rm $GZTARFILE 2> /dev/null

# Create a timestamp in a logfile.
date >> $LOGFILE
echo backup succeeded >> $LOGFILE

# Clean up remote server and leave 7 days of backup files
ssh $SERVER 'find /home/admin/DATA_BKP/ -follow -name 'data_*' -ctime +7 -exec rm {} \;'