[CentOS] Centos/Linux Disk Caching, might be OT in some ways

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:30:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 13:41 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 08:19 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> >> Are complicated relationships being stored in postgresql and not in
> >> mysql? I do not know how things are now but mysql has a history of only
> >> being good for simple selects.
> >
> > Selects can get very upity for mysql as in "VIEWS".  They can do Concat,
> > Inner Join and Outter among many more things.  VIEW myview as SELECT can
> > do some very very logical calcs and predictions.  I promise it is not
> > just for simple selects.
> >

> By 'being good only for simple selects' I meant performance wise. Which
> is what this thread is all about - performance. Sure you can make
> complicated queries on mysql but compared to postgresql they would take
> quite some time. Again, this is based on stuff in the past. Maybe mysql
> has improved now.

Sure, I knew what you meant, but we gonna Bang Heads on your definition
of simple selects.  I can't compare performance to postgresql but I am
willing to bet that mysql can do alot more.  Doing something like a
"Breadth First" or "Depth First" logical operation, it is sad for me to
even say MySQL is faster in that area with predictions than MSSQL.
Having said that I really love mssql and sqlce. Now we getting OT.

Great things started to happen with mysql @ version 5 >.  Now it's just
probally going to wither away.  Who really knows?