[CentOS] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:26:35 UTC 2010

On 1/28/2010 3:01 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>     Anytime someone mentions backups, I have a knee-jerk reaction to mention
>     backuppc because it is simple and will likely do anything you need.
>       Docs are
>     here: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ It is packaged in epel.  It
>     can use rsync
>       (with/without ssh), smb, or tar for the backup transport.
>       Generally for
>     anything remote, you'll want rsync, and you'll want it badly enough
>     to set it up
>     even on windows targets - which is not all that difficult.
>
>     --
>        Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com <mailto:lesmikesell at gmail.com>
>

> Thank you Les, but I'm not looking for a new backup program. We rely on
> the platform's native backup scripts. I'm looking for recommendation for
> a fast, reliable & secure remote backup server platform

I don't understand what a 'remote backup server platform' is if it
doesn't involve backup software.  If you just want to present a file or
device interface you can do that over a WAN with ordinary protocols but
you won't like it.  You could split the difference with a local (to the
targets) file share where the native backups dump a copy, followed by
remote rsync'ing of that copy to a central server where a longer history
might be managed (or letting backuppc do that part for you).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com