[CentOS] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL
Fri Jan 29 12:44:43 UTC 2010

________________________________
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Rudi Ahlers
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 12:23 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net<mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>> wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> nate, why not? Is it simply unavoidable at all costs to mount on system on
> another, over a WAN? That's all I really want todo

If what you have now works, stick with it.. in general network
file systems are very latency sensitive.

CIFS might work best *if* your using a WAN optimization appliance,
I'm not sure how much support NFS gets from those vendors.

iSCSI certainly is the worst, block devices are very intolerant of
latency.

AFS may be another option though quite a bit more complicated, as
far as I know it's a layer on top of an existing file system that
is used for things like replication

http://www.openafs.org/

I have no experience with it myself.

nate

Thanx nate, this is what I wanted to hear :)

So, is there any benefit in using NFS over SMB in this case?

Can't speak for NFS(3/4), but i can tell you that that smb-protocol combined with high latency is a recepy for disaster.
We tried it from europe to the carribean (both sat or fibre) but users spent their time more complaining then working.
Needed horrible expensive lan-optimesers at both end

So perhaps nfs4 or afs (later is intended for geographically separated machines, afaicr)
but certainly not smb!