[CentOS] Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3 - slightly OT

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 00:56:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 15:54 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 10:11 -0800, MHR wrote:
> >

> >> So, does anyone know why AR takes forever to get going?
> >>
> > ---
> > No, but it takes about 5 secs to start up on a P4-1.7. That machine is
> > 10 years old almost.   How long are you talking about?
> >

> I just tried it on my 2.6GHz Athlon II X4 (new CPU I could not resist)
> and got this:  ~4 seconds to display, then another 22 before it would
> do anything else (specifically, advance one page).  During the wait,
> it just sits there and acts dead, kind of like SeaMonkey does when it
> decides to be cranky.

This will make you cringe, it is a P4B533 Asus Board.  Do not be so sad
though, my friend has a HP 64 Bit Athlon/VT ext., and this desktop will
burn circles around his.  They don't make them like they used to.  I
have a Athlon 64Bit 4000+ desktop also but somehow I just cant seem to
leave this old one.
Kernel = Linux ethies 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 #1 SMP on CentOS Bits i686

> This only happens during the first load in a while - probably until
> the cache for its pages clear, or it may be going out on the web to
> check for updates, though this seems to take a long time.

Check the settings for adobe because honestly I had to change mine!
the cache settings i think for adobe reading pages ahead into memory.

John