[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Wed Jan 13 07:39:57 UTC 2010
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 01:05:39AM +0100, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
>>> If you can split the storage up into 2TB or smaller volumes that you can
>>> mount into sensible locations to spread the load and avoid contention
>>> you can always use software RAID1.
>> Funny you should mention software RAID1... I've seen two instances of that
>> getting silently out-of-sync and royally screwing things up beyond all
>> repair.
>>
>> Maybe this thread has gone on long enough now?
>>

> Not yet :)
>
> Please tell more about your hardware and software. What distro? What
> kernel? What disk controller? What disks?
>
> I'm interested in this because I have never seen Linux software MD RAID1
> failures like this, but some people keep telling they happen frequently..

It could be like Les said - bad RAM. I certainly have not encountered
this sort of error on a md raid1 array.

> I'm just wondering why I'm not seeing these failures, or if I've just
> been lucky so far..

Yeah, lucky you've not got bad RAM that passed POSTing and at the same
time did not bring your system down on you right from the start or
rendered it unstable.