[CentOS] ntp server

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Thu Jul 1 14:51:51 UTC 2010

N.B. Windows does not (easily) speak ntp with a *real* ntp client,
Microsoft has its own way of doing things.

> However - it seems like ntpd server does not like to run this way.
> There is a LONG delay before it finally says OK - no one to
> talk to so I'll just give the time anyway. Then things start working.
>
> Is there some method to SKIP this long delay??? It seems like
> its 15 or 20 minutes.
> I need to bypass that delay or tell ntpd "I dont care about
> others time"
> just provide the time you have.

/etc/ntp.conf
server (IP address of the machine running REAL ntp)
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

N.B. stuff that goes in /etc/ntp.conf to keep the clocks secure is
omitted.  This is just the three lines to keep clocks synchronized in a
perfect world.