[CentOS] ntp server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 15:24:28 UTC 2010

On 7/1/2010 9:28 AM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have a need to run a centos server CUT-off from any connected network.
> So the NTP server that is running on this very small network cannot
> connect to
> any other site to do what NTP does.
>
> however, I have devices on this small network that I wish to use the
> centos server
> as the time source and run ntpd.
>
> However - it seems like ntpd server does not like to run this way.
> There is a LONG delay before it finally says OK - no one to talk to so
> I'll just give
> the time anyway. Then things start working.
>
> Is there some method to SKIP this long delay??? It seems like its 15 or
> 20 minutes.
> I need to bypass that delay or tell ntpd "I dont care about others time"
> just provide the time you have.

You can get an assortment of devices that receive time signals from
satellites to act as good authoritative time sources on your private
network if you are willing to spend some money.  If you just want to
fake it, I think the trick is to lower the stratum number in the 'fudge'
setting in ntpd.conf.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com