[CentOS] ESXi, KVM or Xen?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Sat Jul 3 11:18:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:52:41AM +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> Which of these would be the recommended virtualization platform for
> mainly CentOS guest on CentOS host for running a virtualized mail
> server? From what I've read, objectively it seems that VMWare's still
> the way to go although I would had like to go with Xen or KVM just as
> a matter of subjective preference.

Also worth looking at Citrix XenServer.

My essay on this from a few months ago:
  http://sweh.spuddy.org/Essays/Virtualization_options.html

> VMWare's offering seems to have the best support and tools, plus

Note that ESXi uses an embedded control node and is very limited in
hardware support.

> Xen would had been a possible option except Redhat appears to be

I found the Xen in CentOS 5.4 to be unstable for Windows guests; it
was fine for CentOS guests.

> KVM would be ideal since it's opensource and would be supported in

It seemed to work adequately, but the toolset isn't quite as user
friendly (eg need to manually create bridges).

--

rgds
Stephen