[CentOS] CentOS Cluster

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Mon Jul 5 20:48:45 UTC 2010

On 10-07-05 04:36 PM, Torintino T wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am newbie to Linux Clustering, i have  2 standalone CentOS servers, i want to setup a cluster on those servers,
> to synchronize between each other, and to make a one as standby to the other, if a one fails the other will switchover.
>
> I will mostly use Apache, Mysql, and PHP.
>
> I have read the "Cluster Administration" document, i found that there are multiple methods to setup the cluster,
> actually i want to ask expert people in the clustering, which method is the most proper one,
> and should i have use a fence device, which one i will preferably use.
>
> Thanks for assistance.

How you implement the application fail-over will depend on your approach
for each of you high-availability applications. Have you thought about
how you will sync data (DRBD, GFS2, NFS, etc)?

As for the cluster itself, that is, the stack underneath the
applications, it is not too hard to setup. Install the clustering group
and then configure the '/etc/ais/openais.conf' file and the
'/etc/cluster.conf' file. Of course, how to do that is a bit bigger
question.

As for fencing; Yes, yes and definitely Yes. If your servers have IPMI
(ie; Dell's DRAC, HP's iLO, etc) then use IPMI for fencing. Otherwise
you will need an external fence device like an addressable PDU.

A word of note; Clustering on CentOS is fairly old now. Old enough, that
I've personally moved off of it Fedora 13 for non-production use in
order to prepare for the "real soon now" RHEL/CentOS 6 release. If
you're not imminently deploying your cluster, you may want to explore this.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com