[CentOS] Smallest install?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Jul 6 10:14:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> From: Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Smallest install?
>
> Stephen Harris a écrit :
>> I have a 500Mb ATA Flash drive in my machine.  If I deselect everything at
>> install time (CentOS 5.0 - just for testing) it still requires 524Mb.  Is
>> there any way of doing an even smaller install?
>>

> You might consider one of those fine super-lightweight distributions
> like Slitaz or Tiny Core, both excellent.

OR there's  DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

What is DSL?

Damn Small Linux is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.

Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

It runs from a Live CD nicely.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts