[CentOS] kernel: Machine check events logged

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jul 7 15:44:20 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 07 July 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> >> - I'm not good enough on this to tell you if
> >> it's the CPU, or the motherboard, but it's one of the two, *not* just
> >> memory.
> >
> > What do you base that on? I've seen a lot of different MCE-errors being
> > resolved by finding and replacing flaky dimms.
>
> Because it says NB Array error, and errors in the L3 subcache. I've seen
> enough memory errors, and not seen an NB array & subcache error.

That does sound like a reasonable guess. However, you presented it as absolute
truth. The MCE could just as easily be read as: NB means not IC/DC/BU =>
actual RAM.

Given that real world figures show bad RAM to be a lot more likely that a bad
CPU I'd start by looking at the dimms (or at the very least not exclude
it...).

> I do just note that there's "No DIMM found for ... in SMBIOS", but I
> assume that's just a bank that's not filled.

or the SMBIOS data is borked, wouldn't be the first time...

/Peter