[CentOS] How current are packages?

Matthew Valentino

astrochase at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 23:10:22 UTC 2010

I'm relatively new to CentOS. I ordered a VPS and requested CentOS 5.5. As I
was installing packages, I noticed that some of the versions are pretty old
- for example, Postfix is v 2.3 in the repo (and, according to Postfix's
website - no longer mainted). Is this a security risk as the current version
is 2.7.1?

Building and compiling Postfix from source seems to cause additional
problems with yum, so I'm not sure what to do other than perhaps switch to
something like Fedora. Perhaps there's a third-party repo with updated
packages that I haven't found?

Thanks,

Matt