[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Doug Coats

dcoatshca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 01:40:04 UTC 2010

I am running centos 5.5 using samba3x as a pdc.  I migrated to samba3x so
that I could join Windows 7 machines to the domain.  It is a new setup using
a tried and true configuration from a different box.  I have used this
configuration in the past to joing Windows XP Pro machines.  And I havn't
found anyting helpful on the error with google.  I can ping the server name
and the server can ping the windows 7 box.  I can access smaba shares on the
server but I cannot join the domain.

I have applied the reg settings  to win7 and when I try to join I get this
error.

An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain admin could not be
contacted.

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information.

The details read:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are
not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received
this information, which has been recorded in the file
C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.
The domain name "admin" might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller
(AD DC) for domain "admin":
The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.admin
Common causes of this error include the following:
- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not
registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD
DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the
following IP addresses:
192.168.4.1
- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
zone:
admin
. (the root zone)

I seem to have a DNS problem but I don't even know what it should be doing
so that I know where to start to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any help!

Doug