[CentOS] mount cannot find system /dev/root

sync

jiannma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 08:42:42 UTC 2010

Hi, guys:

I attempt to compile a kernel on CentOS 5.3 i386 which is installed in the
Virtualbox machine,
and its kernel version is  2.6.18-128.el5 ,the new  kernel version is
2.6.34.1

All make procedure is running ok.
I can generate initrd image with no problem too.
But, when I try booting this kernel, I get Kernel panic error message like
these:

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

I don't know what is going on here!!
Thanks if somebody will be able to help me!