[CentOS] Networking just stopped working

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 12:51:26 UTC 2010

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> Ouch.  Never used that mode.
>> Huh? Like why? It's the recommended mode unless the switch does not
>> suppoprt it or the boards don't.
>>

> Oh sorry, got a bit grouchy there. I don't like overtime and was getting
> tired too. Did not read your mail properly.

I think some bridge or vlan scenarios require promiscuous mode (and the
corresponding disabling of hardware acceleration).  Maybe the real issue is that
  something accidentally disabled it and you now only work when tcpdump
re-enables it.  I'm not sure how this is supposed to be managed atomically when
multiple programs may manipulate it and it needs to be propagated across
multiple bonded nics, but maybe something went wrong there.  At least some
things log the change so maybe you can get a hint about when it was turned on
and off.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com