[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 17:58:06 UTC 2010

> His problem is WINS resolution doesn't tell the workstations which
> computer is the domain controller and that is what he needs to fix
> (first by designating a domain controller and then by making sure that
> WINS is functioning well).
>
> Craig

Thanks for all the help.  I agree that WINS seems to be the issue, or
atleast it is a place that we can start with to help track down the issue.

Currently 192.168.4.1 is the WINS server.  This is necessary because I need
cross subnet brownsing between 192.168.6. and 192.168.5.  According to the
man page for smb.conf only one computer on your network can be a WINS server
and this is the computer that all other computers have access to.

That being said 192.168.6. and 192.168.5. are both PDC's for their subnet.
All I have done is moved the 192.168.6.1 configuration to a new machine.
Replaced that machine.  Removed Samba 3.0 and Installed Samba3x.

How do I make sure that 192.168.4.1 recognizes 192.168.6.1 as the ADMIN PDC
so that WINS traffic is directed correctly?