[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 8 19:16:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:52 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:
> With the WINS data cleared. for the past 20 min.  (I did it before I
> wrote about it) Neither PDC has reported to WINS.  So no wonder my
> PC's can't find their domain.
>
> So how do I make sure that 192.168.6.1 is added to wins.dat.  I could
> do it manually but I would rather it communicate the way that it was
> intended to just so I know that the network is configured and working
> correctly.
----
the truth is you can't if the PDC's do not have an interface on
192.168.6 network - you can create static entries in WINS files on each
hosts but that defeats the purpose. You can however, distribute NETBIOS
server information via DHCP.

What you really want is a WINS server on each subnet. If it's
workstation professional, you might be able to install WINS on one of
them if you don't have any samba server on that particular subnet.

Craig

believed to be clean.