[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:43:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 14:29 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > WINS is a broadcast based protocol and thus it only works on the local
> > network and each subnet/network MUST necessarily have master browser
> > elections. The WINS server on each subnet would serve as a clearing
> > house for name resolution for each subnet/network. That is clearly not
> > working for him just from that error message.
>
> Errr, no.  WINS is a server at a specified and routable IP address where
> the subnet master browsers send their lists periodically.  Normally
> you'd have your DHCP server hand out the wins server address and
> manually configure it on machines with static IPs.  The point of using
> WINS is to have one server that knows all of your windows name/address
> mappings.
---
Correct and Not Correct... How about that?  There really is no right or
wrong in either of you twos answer.  The right way is Wins on every SN
to pass to the MB.  That's my opinion.

DHCP is the HACKING Way to pass off wins clients.  My Opinion.   But his
topology will require prolly a DHCP helper client because of the
subnets.  In essence it is a bad designed network that is the problem.

John