[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jul 9 00:07:31 UTC 2010

On 07/08/10 1:31 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'm getting at your assertion that a Wins server on every subnet is
> "right"  being impractical in most networks.  And like the OPs problem
> it has to do with a windows client being able to resolve a windows name
> on a different subnet.

I've never HEARD of using multiple wins servers, one per network
segment.   each SMB client can find the WINS server if you put it in the
right DHCP option, or if you manually configure the client to know where
the WINS server is.   I've never used more than 2 of them
enterprise-wide, and nowdays, you don't need WINS at all, Windows uses
DNS as its primary locator service with Active Directory, and WINS is
heavily deprecated.

but, this whole discussion really has nothing to do with CentOS
specifically, it would better be addressed on a Samba list, I'm sure.