[CentOS] Redundant LAN routing possible?

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Jul 11 16:05:24 UTC 2010

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll read up more about them. The
> bond0 and just works sounds simple which is a Good Thing!  The problem
> was the last time I tried to cross connect multiple switches,
> everything just died so there must be something a bit more involved?
> :D
>
> In the mean time since my post, I came across STP (spanning tree
> protocol) that seems to be designed to handle this sort of thing, i.e.
> figure out the shortest path and prevent network shortcircuit like
> what I had experienced with cross connecting multiple switches.

You only really need STP when you have switches that are connected
together in such a way as to have multiple paths. For the setup you
first posted, you could just have two physically separate networks. That
does leave the question of what solution to use to get the boxes to use
the other switch if the primary one goes down. So if you connect both
networks to make say a big 'circular' network, then you need STP.

> But it apparently takes 50 seconds to reconfigure anytime sometime in
> the circuit fails. There is supposedly a Rapid STP that only takes 3
> seconds. Several couple-of-years old search results indicate that it
> was tested in 2.4 kernel and will be in 2.6 kernel. However, I cannot
> seem to find anything newer that confirms if such functionality is
> really in the current kernel. Anybody has any idea?

You probably want to inform the switch which ports are link ports and
which ports are edge ports (that is, only hosts will use the port) to
reduce the amount of work and therefore time needed.