[CentOS] Re-exporting an NFS mount.. Possible?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 22:40:11 UTC 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> It really is NOT a good idea to re-export a network-mounted file system.
>> Is there some reason you cannot simply migrate the data on the Windows
>> 2008 server to a new CentOS system?  Note that you can also install
>> Samba on the new CentOS system, which will support any MS-Windows
>> clients served by the Windows 2008 server.
>>
>> One possibity would be to install a virtual CentOS server on the Windows
>> 2008 server and have it *replace* the NFS server running on the Windows
>> 2008 server.  You would need to map the file systems to be exported as
>> local/virtual file systems on the virtual CentOS server.
>
> Thanks Robert...Unfortunately, changes to the server and client
> require a large effort. The systems are only accessible remotely, are
> in use 24 hours a day for two to three weeks at a time, and making any
> change, even adding a script, requires re-certification.
>
> Mark - thanks.. I will look at unfs..
>
> Ross - We considered that option and may consider it if re-exporting a
> share is possible with CIFS.

Well on the 2008 box you can have a share available by NFSv3 AND CIFS and on the old Redhat boxes you might be able to mount the CIFS share since they don't support NFSv3, though if they don't support NFSv3 I have my doubts they support mounting CIFS as well.

Is it that NFSv2 itself is insecure, or only the Windows implementation of NFSv2? Is NFSv2 on CentOS an acceptable substitute? Can you relocate the data?

You might be painted into a corner here, being forced to upgrade under duress.

-Ross