[CentOS] Xen cpu requirements

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Jul 14 19:06:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, July 14, 2010 13:07, Victor Padro wrote:

> I own a Xeon X3430 & X3440 and both have vmx extensions so the X3450,
> please recheck your BIOS config.
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42929

The Intel page certainly says the X3450 has vt-x and vt-d.

This system is a Dell Poweredge R310, if that helps anybody realize what's
going on.

Okay, boot has gotten me into the BIOS, let's see...

Under 'processor settings' we've got 64-bit Yes, Logical Processor
Enabled, Virtualization Technology Enabled, Execute Disable Enabled,
Processor 1 Family-Model-Stepping 06-1E-5, and it says again it's an Intel
Xeon X3450 @ 2.67GHz.

I've looked in all the other BIOS categories, nothing vaguely related has
turned up.  My past experience with DELL Poweredge (other models) has been
that the BIOS has one setting for virtualization technology, which must
indeed be enabled, but this one now is (and was when I installed the
current Centos installation).

Seeing the Intel confirmation that it's supposed to be there is helpful,
though; it makes it easier to keep poking rather than giving up, since
pretty clearly it's *supposed* to be here.

The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
virtualization setting in the bios are:

flags           : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info