[CentOS] Xen cpu requirements

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 19:49:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 02:20:10PM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
>> they're not explicit as I stated but perhaps it just states as VT-D or
>> something that you may overlooked it.
>
> VT-d (Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is virtualization
> for devices.  With this it's possible for a guest OS to have direct
> exclusive access to hardware devices (maybe one of the USB controllers,
> or a disk controller).  This is, really, a layer violation but it can be
> a performance gain or allow VMs to access hardware that the hypervisor
> can not emulate.  My machine, apparently, supports VT-d in the BIOS but
> either the chipset (H55) doesn't support it or something else is wrong;
> the capability isn't available to the hypervisor.
>
> This isn't needed for CPU virtualization to work.
>
> --
>
> rgds
> Stephen

Yes I know, but the idea is to look a little bit more in such entries, isn't? ;)

AFAIK, VT-d is only implemented LGA 1156/P55 and 34XX Chipsets:
http://www.intel.com/products/server/chipsets/3400-3420/3400-3420-overview.htm

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"