[CentOS] Linux Kernel Physical Interface Limit

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Jul 14 20:43:46 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 05:51 PM, William Warren wrote:
>    I think it's baloney mainly because i can't find a mention of it
> anywhere.  Is there REALLY a limit on the number of physical network
> interfaces in the Kernel?

Most of the limits on the number of any device come from the major/minor
numbers on the device nodes.  Since ethernet adapters don't have device
nodes, I'd be surprised if there were any practical limit.

I'm able to create at least 1025 VLANs on my ethernet adapter, and VLANs
are "real" interfaces in the kernel.