[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Jul 15 20:06:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, July 15, 2010 14:08, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
>> If I can log in to the guest through the console, I can of course find
>> out
>> what IP DHCP has assigned it.  If I configure a static IP I can of
>> course
>> connect to the system there (if it runs services, the firewall allows
>> it,
>> all the usual caveats).
>>
>> Does there happen to be any way to determine from dom0 what IPs are
>> participating in the network and which guests they belong to?  (I'm
>> configuring everything as bridged; basically I want to use
>> virtualization
>> to pretend I have a bunch of independent systems visible to the
>> outside.)
>>
>> (I suppose just what the IPs are is enough; the number is small enough I
>> could probe them until I found the system I wanted.  Obviously this is
>> for
>> use when I'm having trouble getting in through the console but have some
>> reason to think the rest of the system is alive.)

> grep DHCP /var/log/messages
>
> or
>
> grep DHCPACK /var/log/messages

My dom0 /var/log/messages doesn't have anything on assignments to guests.
bs004 (ID 9), for example, currently has 192.168.1.143, but there's
nothing about that IP in dom0 /var/log/messages.

Are you maybe running a dhcp server locally for local networking, rather
than bridging your guest systems out to the general dhcp server?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info