[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Fri Jul 16 06:56:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

> My dom0 /var/log/messages doesn't have anything on assignments to guests.
> bs004 (ID 9), for example, currently has 192.168.1.143, but there's
> nothing about that IP in dom0 /var/log/messages.
>
> Are you maybe running a dhcp server locally for local networking, rather
> than bridging your guest systems out to the general dhcp server?
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
> Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
> Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
> Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

I don't run DHCP on dom0 (are you using XEN?)  for this very reason. I
don't want DHCP broadcasts all over the network, and don't want the
domU's to accept DHCP requests from other hosts.

DHCP *normally* logs to /var/log/messages, unless you configured it otherwise.

try "grep dhcp /var/log/messages"

OR "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then "service network restart" on a
domU to see if it shows anything on dom0. Can the domU's get their IP
from another server? Try en eliminate this altogether.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com