[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Jul 16 14:39:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, July 16, 2010 01:56, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
>>
>> My dom0 /var/log/messages doesn't have anything on assignments to
>> guests.
>> bs004 (ID 9), for example, currently has 192.168.1.143, but there's
>> nothing about that IP in dom0 /var/log/messages.
>>
>> Are you maybe running a dhcp server locally for local networking, rather
>> than bridging your guest systems out to the general dhcp server?
>
> I don't run DHCP on dom0 (are you using XEN?)  for this very reason. I
> don't want DHCP broadcasts all over the network, and don't want the
> domU's to accept DHCP requests from other hosts.

Yes, Xen.  I'm not so far as I know running DHCP, but it might be
configured by default.

> DHCP *normally* logs to /var/log/messages, unless you configured it
> otherwise.

Haven't touched anything of that nature (and the install is only hours
old, I still remember what I did :-) ).

> try "grep dhcp /var/log/messages"
>
> OR "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then "service network restart" on a
> domU to see if it shows anything on dom0. Can the domU's get their IP
> from another server? Try en eliminate this altogether.

The domU got it's ip from the corporate DHCP server, which is what I
intended (that's why I'm running bridged, I'm using virtual servers to
separate functions while conserving physical boxes, so I want them to
present as separate systems to users on the network).

Can't retest right now, as I'm back to just a newly installed Dom0 for
what I hope will be the actual production install.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info