[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jul 19 18:39:48 UTC 2010

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> On Mon, July 19, 2010 09:09, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Jay Leafey wrote:
>
>>> As far as the security of my home network goes, I get a giggle every
>>> time I scan for wireless networks at home.  Mine is the ONLY network
>>> that I can reach that is encrypted.
>>
>> Please - I've enabled WPA, whatever I can, on my ladyfriend's FIOS, and
>> my own DSL, and push everyone else. It boggles my mind when I look for
>> wireless networks in a residential neighborhood, and see so many that
>> are just *open*.
>
> On the other hand, Bruce Schneier does not really agree with you
> <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html>.

Yeah, well, I'll talk to Bruce, next time he shows up at a con I'm at.
I've *had* my IP blocked, and that was by, what, DNSORBS, or what was his
name's thing, and what got blocked was the range of my ISP's range for the
city. I also *do* worry about someone I know sending out crap having
forged my email address, so, yeah, there's a lot of small-time nastiness
out there, and so I *do* secure it as best I can.

I ought to email him, and see if he still feels that way.

> There are two issues I see with wireless network security.
<snip>
> It's certainly very handy to have access to wireless when I visit friends,
> go to parties, and so forth.  I have an unsecured network of my own at
> home that I turn on for parties (fairly small bandwidth).

Right. If I trust someone to come over who wants to use a laptop/netbook,
I trust 'em enough to hand them the WPA key. I *don't* trust a wardriver
at all.

      mark