[CentOS] Audio fails on centos 5.5 sony laptop - snd-hda-intel

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 09:55:50 UTC 2010

On 20/07/10 03:08, Rob Kampen wrote:

> Still no joy - I am at a loss to know what to check - if I boot a 194
> kernel no sound, 164 kernel is fine - why the regression?
> Same configs, same modules loaded but now no sound - what can I check to
> determine problem and find a solution?
> no errors in logs or dmesg

I would suggest you start checking back through the changelogs between
kernel-2.6.18-194.el5 and kernel-2.6.18-164.el5, find likely candidates
that may have caused your issue and then rebuild a testing kernel with
that patch reverted. If that testing kernel fixes your issue then you've
identified the issue and can file a bug report upstream.

To start you on your way, this patch looks like a likely candidate for
you to investigate further:

* Mon Dec 21 2009 Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> [2.6.18-183.el5]
- [sound] alsa hda driver update for rhel5.5 (Jaroslav Kysela) [525390]