[CentOS] Building an install disk on a USB key manually or using unetbootin

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:37:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:22:58AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> >  On 7/22/2010 6:09 PM, David wrote:
> >> Has anyone successfully built a USB key for installing centos5.5 either
> >
> > The only problem I found was that the install insisted on installing
> > grub on the USB drive rather than the target hard drive.  I finally had
> > to skip the grub installation and install it by hand afterwards.
>
> Yeah - that may be either an install thing, or an anaconda one. I hate
> that. I always have to reboot from the USB key, go to linux rescue, then
> chroot to /mnt/sysimage, and grub-install /dev/sda

Seems to me, though memory is hazy, that I was able to get around this
by going in and changing boot order--that is, in the advanced grub menu.

(If not, then I guess it was in Fedora.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Joyce: Something's gonna eat those babies?
Principal Snyder: I think that is so wrong.