[CentOS] Small Business support for *nix systems in Spain

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 19:44:15 UTC 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 3:05 PM, Kurt Hansen <khansen at charityweb.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This message just came across on another mailing list I am on. The
> little dig on Unix as being old and Windows being new got me annoyed so
> I wanted to reply, but with some real contacts that he asks for at the end.
>
> I figured there might be some folks who could help him out. Feel free to
> reply on list or to me, and I will forward on your contact info.
>
> Message follows:
>
> "
> Our company has 30 shops that connect to a central server where the
> point -of-sale software runs, and is currently operating on Unix (it´s
> an old system we acquired when we bought another company). It seems
> obvious we have to replace this Unix architecture with something more
> modern (and better able to manage our growing needs). The computer
> consultants we work with have suggested two options:

I think you're reading into this too much.

It sounds like their running an old serial or X terminal server based on SCO/HPUX or something and they are thinking of going to a Windows based terminal server.

For a small company I'd probably suggest MS terminal servers, running under ESX on big hardware so they can provision them out over time.

-Ross