[CentOS] CentOS 5.5/i386/32-bit CD installation hickups

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Tue Jul 27 19:07:26 UTC 2010

On 07/27/2010 11:57 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Franz<jfranz at freerun.com>  wrote:
>
>> The closest I have is a P3 with 1 GByte of RAM over HTTP using the 5.4
>> netinstall CD that I installed several months ago (I keep a local mirror
>> of the CentOS tree). That worked fine for me. My first thought on a
>> machine that old would be either flaky memory or or a flaky CD drive. I
>> would run memtest86+ on them and then try a network install. You can
>> mount the DVD ISO on loopback on a webserver for an install source.
>>
> Benjamin,
>
> Thank you, those are excellent suggestions. I will try that, most likely.
>
> By the way - since it sounds like you have the experience - how easy
> is it to mirror CentOS repositories locally? How much space do I need,
> roughly?

I exclude the testing, build, apt, ia64, s390, s390x, and alpha
sub-trees. The 5.5 tree (minus those) takes about 36 Gbytes. During an
update cycle with a new release you can expect about double that between
the old and new trees.

It is pretty easy - I just run a nightly rsync against a good public mirror.

--
Benjamin Franz