[CentOS] Wifi not working

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 10:01:04 UTC 2010

From: Dave Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

> Larry Vaden <vaden at ...> writes:
>

> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010  at 6:33 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 <at>
> rogers.com>  wrote:
> > > Beginning DHCP  transaction.
> >>TRIMMED<<
> > > Jul 27 19:32:23 smurf3  NetworkManager: <info>  Device 'wlan0' DHCP
> > > transaction took  too long (>45s), stopping it.
> > > Jul 27 19:32:23 smurf3  NetworkManager: <info>  wlan0: canceled DHCP
> > > transaction,  dhcp client pid 30770
> >
> > It would seem that one possibility is  that the AP is not running a
> > DHCP server.
> >
> > Another is  that if the AP is running a DHCP server, it is restricting
> > IP addresses  to known clients.
> >
> > kind regards/ldv
> >

> A couple of  suggestions:
>
> 1) I had very similar problems with some of the Broadcom  drivers for my
> laptop ("transaction took too long").  An easy test is  to *BRIEFLY* disable
> security on the AP and see if your system  connects.  If the two systems
> connect then there is a problem syncing  with WPA security.  A possible
> alternative is to use ndiswrapper and  the Windows driver instead of the
> native Linux driver.  I've been  really happy with ndiswrapper even if it
> means I'm "impure" for using a  Windows driver.
>
> 2) The actual key exchange is handled by a daemon called  wpa_supplicant.
> It can be finicky.  The config files are  /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
> and  /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.cnf  You may have better luck
> fiddling with some of the settings in the configuration files.  As an
> example, ndiswrapper works better for me with -D wext instead of -D
> ndiswrapper.
>
> I've also seen restating wpa_supplicant (as root,  "service wpa_supplicant
> restart) fix things.  Also, I've had better luck  just getting the
> wpa_supplicant configuration right and not using  NetworkManager (service
> NetworkManager stop).  I just do a "ifup wlan0"  from the command  line.

Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
successful.  Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
flashed it...

JD