[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 13:52:17 UTC 2010

> Is there any reason to use LVM on a personal desktop install of
> CentOS? It seems to me, for my purposes, that LVM is just a pain in
> the neck -- although I've always just let CentOS set it up during the
> install in the past.  I would like to be able to use parted to resize
> partitions when I want to, and also I'd like Vector Linux to be able
> to read and write data to the CentOS partition. Would I be missing
> something by not installing LVM, or is this mostly for server purposes
> anyhow?

LVM adds flexability that regular partitioning can't.

Example 1. Say you've mounted an entire 2TB disk as /home and it's
almost full. Now you want to add another 2TB to /home. How do you?
Easiest way is with LVM. You just add the new disk into LVM's pool of
storage and expand the home partition (Logical volume) to use the new
space. Now you have a single filesystem spread across two disks.

Example 2. Now let's say that you bought a NAS device (QNAP, Drobo,
Buffalo) that does iSCSI or NFS and you want to move your data off the
two local disks. With LVM you just add the new 'disk' into the pool
then tell LVM to move existing data off the 'old' disk.

Try doing that with parted. :-P

--
Drew

--Marie Curie