[CentOS] Wifi not working (Solved--Sort of...)

Fri Jul 30 02:11:24 UTC 2010
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:04:56PM -0400, Phil Savoie wrote:
> Ross Walker wrote:
> > Don't know, but I think there is an option you can put in your interface file to bring it up in promiscuous mode. Try that and see if NM can grab it on boot.

> There used to be a PROMISC=yes setting I could have used int the
> ifcfg-wlan0 file but is now unsupported according to
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.30/sysconfig.txt.

> Thanks for trying though as it is appreciated.

Create a simple S09 script (eg S09PROMISC) which basically just does
"/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 promisc up"

eg create this as /etc/init.d/PROMISC and then do "chkconfig PROMISC on"

#!/bin/sh

# PROMISC puts wlan0 in promisc mode
#
# chkconfig: 2345 09 91

case "$1" in
  start) touch /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC

         /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 promisc up

         ;;
  stop)
        # Do nothing
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC
        ;;
  status|restart|reload)
        # Do nothing
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

It might work... who knows :-)