[CentOS] pup problem

Charles Campbell

Charles.E.Campbell at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 2 14:02:12 UTC 2010

Hello!

On May 28, I had a problem with pup and seamonkey.  I was doing an
update via pup and reading a page via seamonkey; seamonkey froze with a
plain brown screen.  I waited awhile, and then did the
press-the-power-button-until-it-shuts-off.   However, I don't know
whether it was seamonkey or pup that actually caused the freeze, but
apparently pup did not do its updating job correctly.  There's a number
of icons that are missing, so (for example) open office won't start from
the menu.  Centos starts, but the desktop background doesn't appear
(although I can select desktop background and get it to appear).
Finally, attempts to attach anything to an email via seamonkey (17 or
2.04) or thunderbird show the requestor momentarily and then crashes
seamonkey/thunderbird.

Is there a log somewhere of what was updated (I didn't see it in
/var/log/messages) and can I force pup to do the update manually?

Any other suggestions for getting things back to normal?

Regards,
Chip Campbell