[CentOS] grub, initrd and Co

Philippe Naudin philippe.naudin at supagro.inra.fr
Tue Jun 8 13:02:20 UTC 2010

Le Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:30:40 +0200,
Mogens Kjaer <mk at lemo.dk> a écrit :

> > Any idea ?
>
> /etc/fstab looks good; now what's in your /boot/grub/grub.conf file?

# cat /mnt/linux/etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.3.1.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.img

> BTW, if you boot in rescue mode from the installation DVD/CD, does
> it automatically mount everything?

Yes, including swap, and dmesg doesn't report any errors. I chrooted
to /mnt/sysimage and tried grub-install /dev/hda1 :
Installation finished. No error reported.
(hd0) /dev/hda
... but no better result after a reboot (exactly the same messages).

My bet is : grub is ok, initrd maybe, but something else is missing
(udev ? selinux is disabled).

Cheers,

--
Philippe