[CentOS] software raid - better management advice needed

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Jun 10 13:40:16 UTC 2010

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've used mdadm for years now to manage software raids.
>>
>> The task of using fdisk to first create partitions on a spare drive
>> sitting on a shelf (raid 0 were my 1st of 2 drives failed) is kind of
>> bugging me now.
>>
>> After using fdisk to create the same partition layout on the new drive
>> as is on the existing drive and then using mdadm to finish every thing
>> up is a little tedious.
>>
>> Any one have an idea how to have a sort of hot plug were I just swap
>> out the drive and it rebuilds?
>>

> sfdisk is your friend (from man sfdisk):
>
>        -d     Dump the partitions of a device in a format useful as input  to
>               sfdisk. For example,
>                   % sfdisk -d /dev/hda > hda.out
>                   % sfdisk /dev/hda < hda.out
>               will correct the bad last extended partition that the OS/2 fdisk
>               creates.
>
> So:
>
> 1) plug in replacement disk.
> 2) partition it:
>
> # sfdisk -d /dev/sdX | sfdisk /dev/sdY
>
> Where /dev/sdX is an existing disk and /dev/sdY is the replacement disk
>
> 3) add the partition(s) to the array(s):
>
> # mdadm /dev/mdI ... -a /dev/sdYI
> # mdadm /dev/mdJ ... -a /dev/sdYJ
> # mdadm /dev/mdK ... -a /dev/sdYK
> # mdadm /dev/mdL ... -a /dev/sdYL
>
> No reason not to put all of the above in a script...

Agreed.  And I have... :)

The script is designed to add a third drive to a raid1 set.  I use this
with a removable drive to get a backup of the system that can be taken
off-site.

The sleeps in this script are probably a bit excessive, but they are
designed to let the system fully process each command before the next
one is given.  I found that certain things would not work properly
without a pause in there.  Since I only run this once a month, it's not
a big deal if it takes a couple of minutes to run.

Just posting this in case it proves useful to anyone.

--
Bowie