[CentOS] Service monitoring/"Monit"?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 11 10:21:40 UTC 2010

On 11/06/2010 10:49, Toralf Lund wrote:
> That's actually part of what I want to do. I'd like to have an rpm
> package install put a "real" monitoring config in /etc/monitors.d, but I
> can't really do it if that means automatically starting the service - it
> must be possible (and simple) to install the software without forcing it
> to run directly.

God and Bluepill can both do these things. Its a classic case of what I
call reactive-monitoring. So you only look at specific conditions - then
wrap them around a policy each. The problem with monit is that its
unable to handle more than one condition in one run cycle, and its
extremely hard to do co-ordinated scheduling across tasks using the
monit config files.

Imho, Monit is a good implementation of init; and useful for situations
where the app can handle contingencies and policy itself.

> Too bad, really, since it seems like it very nearly has what's needed.
> There is also a "dependency" mechanism that would do this,

Deps are important, specially when you daisy chain tasks. eg. Nagios to
monitor machine state, user facing external ( or cross machine )
interfaces, and BluePill. Then have BluePill handle app state locally.

- KB