[CentOS] Cacti/snmp question

Mathew S. McCarrell mccarrms at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:09:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 04:38:17PM -0400, Mathew S. McCarrell wrote:
>
> >    I don't have an exact answer for you but you may find this tutorial
> >    useful.
> >    http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/Install_Cacti_on_CentOS_5
>
> Thanks. That summarizes nicely the steps I've taken. It's a bit better put
> together that the several sets of instructions I was working from. The
> steps
> it shows are exactly what I ended up doing though.
>
> >    You may find this information useful as well, even if it's specific to
> the
> >    environment it's used in.
> >
> http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/Monitor_a_Remote_System_with_Nagios/SNMP
>
> Should be useful when I extend our Nagios monitoring to include snmp data.
> We're using Nagios extensively, but it doesn't seem suited to the sort of
> load graphing we need for our CPU cores - or if it is it's a side of Nagios
> I'm unfamiliar with (which could be, it's nicely extensible).

I guess I was thinking originally that you'd find the snmp configuration
more useful than anything really related to Nagios on that page.  Nagios
itself doesn't do graphing but some addons can utilize Nagios data to
produce graphs.  If you can successfully use snmpwalk on the remote system,
then at least you know snmp isn't the problem and you might not find that
article very useful.

Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell