[CentOS] Cacti/snmp question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:46:16 UTC 2010

On 6/14/2010 5:20 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:55:10PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> I happen to like OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) but it is considerably
>> more complicated than cacti to set up.
>
> Thanks. I don't mind complicated if the documentation is clear. Cacti is in
> that fuzzy area where it's not quite simple, and the docs aren't quite clear
> (at least not to my learning style). It looks like OpenNMS is mostly in the
> same space as Nagios, which we're already happy with and have no motivation
> to replace.

The big difference is that OpenNMS typically needs no agent or per-host
configuration because it works with snmp and auto-discovery of most
services - and it handles routers/switches as well has hosts.  It's
actually not that hard to get started if you want to try it since you
can use their yum repository and they just had a new stable release.

> Would there be a stripped-down usage to just give us the
> per-core CPU usage graphs which are what we currently need (and have no
> notion how to add to Nagios, if it can even be done); does OpenNMS already
> have a per-core CPU usage graphing capability.

I'm not sure of the details of how this works. With the default setup I
get a single CPU usage graph on linux targets and windows targets may
show none or one per CPU.  I think it is up to what the snmp agent returns.

>> And I think your SNMP server setup is the real problem. Do you get a
>> response with snmpwalk using the same community name?
>
> Yes, snmpwalk gives a good response. (Although to confuse things, the CentOS
> man page for snmpwalk is years out of date and doesn't present the current
> syntax - still, it has a current built-in help page.)

Does 'good' mean many pages of output if you don't specify an oid?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com