[CentOS] Disable sendmail and configure mailx to use an external Postfix server?

Steven Tardy sjt5 at its.msstate.edu
Tue Jun 15 14:00:41 UTC 2010

Dan Burkland wrote:
> Is there anyway I can disable sendmail on my various machines and configure mailx on them to utilize my Postfix SMTP server?

leave sendmail there and in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc add the line:
FEATURE(`nullclient', `smtp.server.example.com')dnl

restart sendmail

nullclient will send all mail to the relay, no local queuing, no local headers.
smarthost will try to deliver locally(if it's a local account), and queue locally.
smarthost is close, but nullclient might be what is wanted.

ref: Sendmail Cookbook, chapter 3.1, Passing All Mail to a Relay