[CentOS] rpm - diff and patch updating

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Tue Jun 15 16:17:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 08:55 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
>>> First, am I going about this the right way?
>>
>> no -- Usually one unrolls the old tree, applies the patches to
>> the old; and then unrolls the new in a directory 'next to' the
>> first, and diffs from a point above the top of each
>
> What would that gain me?  Following this procedure would get me a big
> diff showing the differences between the old (patched) version and the
> new (unpatched) version.  But that would contain a list of all of the
> stuff in the new version which probably doesn't need to be changed, and
> revert the patches from the previous patched version.  In other words,
> unless I'm looking at this backward somehow, I don't see the point.

The point is to see where changes are happening, and to be
able to cherry pick in a migration toward the latest [but
being able to spot the deltas from the prior version], which,
as I understood it, was your goal

I did not suggest applying that resulting diff, as a patch
without review, but rather as a means to get visibility as to
what changes were being 'upstreamed'

-- Russ herrold