[CentOS] rpm - diff and patch updating

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 15 17:59:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 13:06 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Where did the original SRPM come from?

rpmfusion.

> What was it of/for?

vice-2.1-3.src.rpm

> Does the original source repository/group exist anymore?
> ... someone else may have already been here with the product you are
> looking at.

I emailed Hans to ask if he was planning to update to version 2.2 and he
replied that he's a bit short of time.  So I have decided to take a stab
at it myself and see what develops.

> Does the person who is building the new SRPM

That would be me.

>  understand _why_ the old patches were created, i.e.,
> what did it fix?

That's part of what I'm working on figuring out.

> Does the person who is building the new SRPM understand in each patch
> case that either _what_ the
> patch 'fixed' has not been fixed in the upstream, or was fixed but not
> in the same way, i.e.,
> contact upstream and ask if the reasons for the patches has gone away
> so you don't need to patch for
> it anymore?

Most of the patches seem to have been there for quite some period of
time.  I initially tried creating and compiling a srpm/rpm that didn't
include the patches to see what would happen.  It compiled and
installed, but didn't actually work.  Therefore, at least some of the
patches are still required.

> Would the upstream be interested in integrating the patches, or
> similar functionality changes, for you?
> Would the upstream be interested in integrating the spec file for you?

That I don't know, but once it's whipped into shape I could ask them, I
suppose.