[CentOS] NFS - Permission Denied

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:59:08 UTC 2010

Try turning off root_squash in your /etc/exports file...
Default NFS server behavior is to prevent root on client machines from
having privileged access to exported files. Servers do this by mapping the
"root" user to some unprivileged user (usually the user "nobody") on the
server side. This is known as *root squashing.*
One way to test, can you add files/dirs as a non root user?
John

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM, James Corteciano
<james at linux-source.org>wrote:

> Hi Boris,
>
> [root at server]# ls -ld /nfs/iso
>
> drwxrwx--- 2 root apache 4096 Jun 18 00:46 /nfs/iso
>
> Regards,
> James
>

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM, James Corteciano
>> <james at linux-source.org> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > This is the settings of my NFS server (192.168.10.55)
>> >
>> > /etc/exports:
>> >                    /nfs/iso   192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync)<http://192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0%28rw,sync%29>

>> > files/directory inside the mounted nfs directory (from /nfs/test), it
>> will
>> > give me "Permission Denied".
>> >
>> > [root at remote]# mount -t nfs 192.168.10.55:/nfs/iso /nfs/test
>> > [root at remote]# mkdir /nfs/test/testing
>> > mkdir: cannot create directory `testing': Permission denied
>> >
>> > Hope anyone could help me to fix this.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > James

>> James,
>>
>> On the server, who owns /nfs/iso? What are the permissions on that
>> directory?
>>
>> Boris.

Did you know that it costs forty thousand dollars a year to house each
prisoner?...I don't think we should give free room and board to criminals. I
think they should have to run twelve hours a day on a treadmill and generate
electricity. And if they don't want to run, they can rest in the chair
that's hooked up to the generator.
-George Carlin