[CentOS] Migrating away from Nagios

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 16:00:39 UTC 2010

On 6/18/2010 10:31 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have to rebuild a new Nagios box and thought this might be a good time
> to migrate away. I use snmp mostly for everything but with the fork Nagios
> endured I wonder about putting any more effort into the project.
>
> I probably should look at OpenNMS again, but the other options I think might
> work are Icinga (Should be trivial to migrate) or Zenoss or maybe even Zabbix?
>
> Anyone have experience in Nagios and care to share comparisons with similar
> projects with strong community involvement?
>
> Also, anyone currently running OpenNMS that can comment on the learning curve
> and level of flexibility coming from a Nagios user?

It depends on what you are doing, but if it is mostly snmp data
collection and icmp/tcp application monitoring, OpenNMS will probably do
it out of the box with autodiscovery and no client setup.  If you have
lots of custom nagios client code, you'll probably have to twiddle some
ugly XML config files to get that data collected.  The mail list support
is fairly good if you have problems.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com