[CentOS] the Postfix packages are way too old

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 18 22:19:32 UTC 2010

Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:28:36PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
>

>> Fun fact: Postfix-2.3.3 has been released in August 2006. Think about that.
>>

> To be fair, RH/CentOS also ships with Sendmail-8.13.8, also from August 2006. What
> a golden month for mail daemons that was.

and in fact, EL5's beta started in September 2006, it was released in
early 2007.  We're overdue for a major new release, I think.

> It used to be that RH's advantage was its daemons weren't as crufty as
> Debian stable. But now with Ubuntu's server version solid - not nearly as
> well supported by the user community as CentOS, but quite current in its
> major daemon versions - those who want there to be good, widely used distros
> in the RH mold five years out from now would do well to push ahead of RH in
> the server space. Some sort of a CentOS+, unbound from RH's laggard ways,
> but conservative in its stability, could find itself quite welcome in the
> world.
>
> Is anyone working on this? (No, not Fedora. That's not a server OS.)

isn't EL6 coming out soon ?   beta 1 released in April,  if they follow
the same schedule as EL5, beta 2 is should be along pretty soon, and
release would likely follow about 4 months later, which I'd estimate to
be in the October time frame...

(reading the EL6 beta 1 release notes) EL6 will be based on 2.6.32, use
EXT4 by default, have XFS support (in 64bit builds), Apache 2.2.14, gcc
4.4, samba 3.0, postgres 8.4, mysql 5.1.  LVM now supports mirrors, so
you can dodge the added complexities of using mdraid under lvm.